Auto Round Tool
The new Auto Round Feature creates Round features automatically in your model. These Round features are referred to as Auto-Round Members (ARMs).
PTC Creo Parametric
|Product / Module||
PTC Creo Parametric
|Product Functional Area||
|User Interface Location||Insert > Auto Round|
|Processes, Initiatives, and Best Practices|
Benefits and Description
With the Auto Round feature, you can automatically round as many edges as possible from the entire model or a selected set of edges. You can also specify edges to exclude by selecting edges graphically or using the search tool to find edges that coincide with the parting surface, for example.
Characteristics of the Auto Round feature include:
- The Auto Round feature creates Round features referred to as Auto-Round Members (ARMs). ARMs are represented on the Model Tree as subnodes of the Auto Round feature. You cannot modify the order in which the ARMs are created. By default, the ARMs are not displayed on the Model Tree. The sequence and edge sets are defined by using internal logic to maximize the number of rounded chains.
- Auto Round reapplies the rounding logic every time the model is regenerated. Therefore, upon part modification and regeneration, a completely different sequence of ARMs could be created.
- Auto Round recognizes certain geometric situations that are ambiguous (that is, narrow adjacent surfaces) and does not round such edges on purpose, in which case, geometry checks are created to communicate the situation to the user.
- The number of edge chains that each ARM of an Auto Round feature can contain is defined by the autoround_max_n_chains_per_feat configuration option.
- Auto Round is available in Part mode for models with solid or quilt geometry or both. In Assembly mode, the Auto Round feature is available for models with assembly-level quilts.
- Pro/ENGINEER assigns a default name for each Auto Round feature as you create it. You can rename the Auto Round feature as a whole but you cannot rename the ARMs individually.
- The Auto Round feature can have a maximum of two radii dimensions, one each for convex and concave edges. Convex and concave radii are attributes owned by the Auto Round feature.
- While creating or redefining an Auto Round feature, you can define it as an Auto Round feature with sub nodes, or a round group.
- You can convert an Auto Round feature to a round group. A round group is a set of round features. When you convert an Auto Round feature to a round group, the Auto Round feature is regenerated and a regular group of round features is created. The individual round features inherit the attributes of the Auto Round feature.
- After you modify a model and regenerate the Auto Round, the order in which the edges are rounded can change. Pro/ENGINEER creates geometry checks for edges or chains of edges that could not be rounded by the Auto Round feature. The Troubleshooter dialog box displays the reason why the edges or chains of edges could not be rounded.
- You cannot perform feature operations such as suppress, resume, pattern, and so on, on the ARMs but you can right-click an ARM for information.