Manage Design Directory Action
In PTC Windchill 10.2 M010, the PTC Windchill Workgroup Manager for ECAD features a Manage Design Directory action. This action allows a user to work outside the workspace local directory in a design directory specified by that user.
PDM & Process Solutions
PTC Windchill Integrations
|Product / Module||
PTC Windchill ECAD/MCAD Integrations
PTC Windchill PDMLink
PTC Windchill Workgroup Manager for ECAD
|Product Functional Area||
ECAD Data Management
|User Interface Location|
|Processes, Initiatives, and Best Practices|
Benefits and Description
The Manage Design Directory action allows users to assign a design directory that is convenient to the designer or aligned with the recommendation of the ECAD tool.
Users can select a design directory such as D:\MyDesigns\project1 or a shared network drive. The design directory can be selected in the following ways:
- During the initial checkin of the design data
- Using the Manage Design Directory action in the action menu
- Using the right mouse button
Note: Some ECAD tools recommend maintaining a relative path between the Schematic and the Printed Circuit Board (PCB). This is supported.
The design directory settings are associated to the design object in the workspace, as long as the design object is in a workspace with a design directory path that the PTC Windchill Workgroup Manager for ECAD can recognize. These settings have the following benefits:
- Allowing users to set the location of the design directory
- Ability to use this directory with all Windchill Workgroup Manager for ECAD actions that require access to where the design data resides (Open In CAD Tool, checkout, checkin, and so on)
- Allowing design data to stay in the native CAD tools directory structure