Workspace Refresh and Synchronize Actions
When working with PTC Creo 2.0 or PTC Windchill Workgroup Manager 10.2, the PTC Windchill 10.2 workspace refresh and synchronize actions are more efficient. This enhancement results in improved performance and responsiveness of these two actions.
PDM & Process Solutions
PTC Windchill Integrations
|Product / Module||
PTC Windchill ECAD/MCAD Integrations
PTC Windchill PDM Essentials
PTC Windchill PDMLink
PTC Windchill ProjectLink
|Product Functional Area||
3rd Party MCAD Data Management
MCAD Data Management
Pro/ENGINEER Data Management
Structured Content Management
|User Interface Location|
|Processes, Initiatives, and Best Practices||
Benefits and Description
PTC Windchill 10.2 has enhanced the update counters it uses to track changes between the server and a user’s workspace at a much more granular level than in past releases. This change provides improved performance for the refresh and synchronize operations. It also increases the number of status changes that are propagated during the workspace refresh. Previously, these changes required a full workspace synchronization to recognize that such changes had occurred.
This improvement provides the following key benefits:
- The system understands changes on a row-by-row basis and only communicates the data necessary for those rows affected by a workspace refresh or synchronize operation.
- Performance of the Out of date and Compare status columns in the workspace table views has been improved.
- Certain status changes no longer require a full workspace synchronization, but are recognized and communicated during the workspace refresh operation. These status changes include the following:
- Shared Status
- General Status
- Out of Date Status
- Life Cycle State
- A new preference has been introduced to set the interval for how often a full refresh should be performed. This preference is necessary to check for any changes to access rights that could potentially affect workspace members, because the new update counters are unable to distinguish such changes. The preference Workspace > Access rights refresh interval can be set to determine the time interval that these additional checks should be made during the refresh operation. The default is 1800 seconds.
- The workspace synchronizes more efficiently.
- Users can perform a 10.2 synchronize by selecting no rows in the workspace and performing the Tools > Synchronize operation.
- Users can perform a synchronize as it was done in Windchill 10.1 by selecting any or all rows in the workspace and then selecting Tools > Synchronize. However, this operation does not take advantage of the 10.2 improvements to the update counter used to track workspace changes.